Friday, April 11, 2014

Running

I am enjoying running. Enjoying running. I honestly am not sure that I have ever, in my entire life, truly enjoyed running...until now. Though I was very active in high school, played lots of school sports, and even did cross country running and track and field, I never really liked running. I just did it....just because it was expected of me. I actually really hated cross country running. Why I put myself through that just to please my teachers and coaches is beyond me! I was a major people pleaser and big-time overachiever in high school. I think I've loosened up quite a bit since then, especially since there is no way to "do it all" as a mom - ha ha.

Hubby has started his new job this week, and things are going quite well. It is a 1 year term job, but it might turn permanent (it's iffy, though). He is home much earlier than I was used to in his previous job, which is a HUGE blessing. It is also so nice to be able to go to church together as a family every Sunday. With his last career, he had to work some Sundays and I was by myself with the kids for Sunday (a pretty major task, especially when church is a good 45 minute drive out of town!) When the weather is nice, once he gets home he will take the kids out to play while I finish up making supper.

Today after supper, he took the kids outside to play for well over an hour. I took the time alone to do a thorough cleaning of the kitchen and jump on the treadmill to do Week 2 of the Couch to 5K program. I play Christian music while I run, and it is such an awesome time for me to recharge. Though it is not the same as sitting down and reading the Bible, the songs I listen to are filled with truth from God's word and are such an encouragement to my soul. I have been feeling much more stressed and anxious this year with all the changes and uncertainty. Taking care of 3 young kids all day can leave me quite frazzled by the end of the day.  Exercise is a great stress reliever but adding in a time of worship and prayer while exercising and listening to truth is truly a stress reliever. As crazy as it might sound, I really think that those 30 minutes of pounding it out on the treadmill are helping me be a better wife & mama. The songs that I listen to while I run challenge and encourage my mind & spirit. I'm sure this is the real reason I am finally enjoying running. For example, one song speaks of increasing my faith in God when times are difficult, another might speak on living a life that reflects Jesus (I consider my attitude and actions toward my kids & husband when I listen to this song). Though finding time to exercise is a challenge, I know that I need to make time. The physical part is important for my health, but the spiritual part of listening to worship music and praying for the time is even more important.

I hope to check in here on Fridays with my progress as I work to drop the pregnancy weight, but more importantly, work toward being a healthier wife & mama. This week I didn't lose anything much. I am still trying to sort out what I need to do food and exercise-wise in order to get over this plateau and get the weight moving again.

Here's just one example of lyrics that spoke to me and challenged me while I was running.

Live Like That - Sidewalk Prophets

Am I proof that You are who You say You are?
That grace can really change a heart
Do I live like Your love is true
People pass
And even if they don't know my name
Is there evidence that I've been changed
When they see me, do they see You?

As I think of those lyrics, my mind goes toward my behavior and attitude at home. My prayer is that my kids will see Jesus living in me...that I would be kind toward them and serve my family as Jesus served and as I train them up in His ways.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...